Monday, May 26, 2008

God's Family

I'm afraid we've become a people who are too afraid to share what's going on in our lives. I'm afraid we're too scared what others may think, so we put on our 'happy' or 'christian' masks to make people think everything is ok when in reality everything is spiraling out of control. I've done this time after time, and I get so tired of putting on a show.

We can't live life like this. We weren't designed to live life like this. God created us for something better than this. God created us for community. God created us to share with one another. This was God's intention for the church.

The church is a family. God's family. God's community of believers. We were made to open up and listen to one another. We weren't made to function by ourselves and look out for ourselves. We were made for each other.

If a person is just watching over their own needs and not caring about others, they just have one person looking out for them. But if a community looks out for each other, they have many people looking out for them. Can you not see how the second person would be so much better off?

I'm ready for us to be a family. I'm ready for the church to look out for each other, and invite others into our family. God is thrilled when His family grows. I know all these problems won't go away. They won't go away until God's Kingdom comes. But living life where we help one another, and we're there for one another, and we care for each other's needs -- that is a rich and fulfilling life. That's the life God wants for us.

And sometimes I do see a glimpse of what God wants his family to look like. I just wish that glimpse could turn into what I see all the time.

We were made for each other. That's what God wants his family to look like.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Anna,
This post was really beautiful. May you always have the courage to speak Truth into the world.
Blessings,
AE

Dana said...

And if the church becomes that, we'll have to tear down the walls to get everyone in. You're a wise wise girl Anna.

Dana said...

Oh and I'm going to get back to your sweet e-mail. I just wanted to be able to give it the time that it deserves.

I love you!

rachel =) said...

and you said you couldn't write! child, you've got it spot-on. i'm tired of doing it, too. it's a process. i love you so much, best friend.