Wednesday, December 5, 2007

God Bless America

On the way back from Honduras, I saw a sign at one of the restaurants in the Houston Airport that caught my attention.
All it said was "God Bless America"
Before my trip to Honduras that sign would not have caught me off guard. It really wouldn't have been a big deal to me at all. You see that phrase everywhere in the states. But now? I have a totally different outlook on it. God Bless America? Hasn't God already blessed America? And my thoughts just started running from there. Everything from God blessing everyone in some form and their responsibility with those blessings. I don't feel God would bless a place so much if He didn't feel they were able to bless others.

God has blessed America, and always continues to do so. Because God blesses America, we have a responsibility. We should be using these blessings to bless others. Third-world countries are in need. America should be helping those in need, and therefore be a blessing to them. Do you see what I'm saying? And this has become so clear after visiting Honduras. I know America is doing a lot for other countries. But I still feel more can be done. God's dream for the world doesn't involve a fourteen year old girl being at the hospital by herself because both of her parents are dead. God's dream for the world isn't for a mother and her seven children to sleep in a shack with one mattress that gets submerged in water whenever it rains. Seeing how that is happening now, we should be a blessing to them and show them God's love and mercy.

And the same is true for individuals. God has blessed me. So, now I should try to be a blessing to everyone I come in contact with. And God has blessed you. What are you going to do with those blessings? I know this is all easier said than done. But I have faith that God actually knows what He's doing.

Let's be the blessing this world needs.


Much Love

5 comments:

Adam said...

Anna Spivy,
You rock so hard! I am so proud of you.
AE

Matt Wilson said...

Anna,

You brought tears to my eyes! That was awesome and spoken from the heart....LOVED IT!!!

Continue being that blessing!

matt wilson
www.mattwilson.wordpress.com
"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems"

rachel =) said...

yes, my friend, you truly do rock. =D i love you so much. and... all i have to say to your post, really, is amen! awesome, hard stuff you're writing about. and i have hope that it's going to happen one day. i really, really do. it starts with us.

(KISSES!)

Sam said...

amen!!! I love you dearly sister! Keep being that blessing in this world!

Jason Goldtrap said...

You have a wonderful spirit about you. Our church sends workers to Honduras each year to help build houses for the poor in the hills above Tegucigalpa. They always say the most frightening part of the trip is flying into the airport!

Let love rule.