Sunday, September 9, 2007

School and Things on My Mind

School is going well. I hate school in general, but I'll live. I'm making more friends, and the classes aren't totally bad. They're a bit harder which I wasn't expecting. I'll adjust. Of course, I've had to just ignore most of what they're teaching in some classes, because, well, I just don't agree with it at all. And the Juniors found out exactly what Jesus is going to look like. Hilarious.

Here are some things on my mind.

I don't shop at (or atleast try not to anyway) Gap anymore because I know children make their clothes in sweatshops. I know almost every other clothing store does that too, but I don't see how that makes it OK to buy their clothes if I know it's not right. I don't want children to have to work in sweatshops to give me clothes. If right now we can't change everything, I atleast want to see some change in the treatment that they work in. It's just not right. And yes, if those children weren't working in those sweatshops their families will probably have no source of income. But, I believe this is far from God's dream for the world he created.

I've seen a video that talks about how Americans spend $18 billion on cosmetics a year, and it would take about that much to feed everyone on the planet. Some people made a valid point by saying that if we stopped buying cosmetics, those people working in that industry would be out of a job and would go hungry, as well. That may be true, but I don't want this to be our reality. And, I don't think the point of the video was just to stop buying cosmetics, but to watch how we're spending (or wasting) our money. We have been blessed to live in a country where we have money to buy things like food and clothes, and yes, cosmetics, too. But with this blessing comes responsibility to care for and bless our brothers and sisters around the world.

Children dying every five seconds from starvation and children working in sweatshops is not the reality God wants for the world He loves and cares about.

Let's be the change and help the Kingdom of God break through in amazing ways. I don't know how we'll do it, but we'll find a way.

Much Love

No comments: